Trekking route along the western slopes of Monte Baldo with views over the Lake.
A beautiful walk, all downhill and with great views which takes you from Tratto Spino down to Malcesine on the Ventrar Path: a botanical paradise considered to be one of the most beautiful in Europe.
|Route||Tratto Spino - Sentiero del Ventrar - Prai - Signor - San Michele - Malcesine|
|Altitude - ascent/descent||431m/2090m|
|Technical difficulty (1 to 5)||2|
|Physical training (1 to 5)||2|
|CAI (italian alpine club) difficulty scale||T: touristic (Ventrar Path: EE: Expert Hikers*|
|Scenic appeal (1 to 5)|
- Tour route
- Cable car ascent/descent
- Panoramic route
Best time of year
From may to november, without snow
Points of interest along this hiking trail
The Ventrar Path is considered to be one of the most beautiful botanical areas in Europe. The path is about 1km long; it meets the northern cliffs of Colma of Malcesine and takes you along the western slopes of Monte Baldo. The path has rocky sections and some sections with breathtaking views over the northern end of Lake Garda.
From the cable car station at the top of the mountain, walk northwards along a short slope which takes you to Colma di Malcesine.
Walk along the plains and ridges of Baldo to the furthest panoramic point with one of the best views from this mountain. Take the downhill path that meets the tarmac Graziani road and on your left you will find signs for the Ventrar path.
The Ventrar path is easy and short but you need to be careful where you put your feet. Along the path there are steel cords which aren’t always necessary but can help you to walk securely.
At the end of the Ventrar you will see ruined fortifications from the First World War.
Carry on downhill and take the path that cuts across from the Prai pastures. If you leave the path and take the cement track to Prai (path no. 3) which takes you first to the wayside shrine of the Lord and then to San Michele where you will find the half way station of the Malcesine Monte Baldo cable car.
At the fork in the path at the Lord’s shrine (Signor), carry on downhill on the cement road, keeping right. At the next fork, just above the cable car station, turn left to get to the station. You will see some benches on your right and a CAI map on your left.
Go past the station and carry on walking downhill on the path on the right-hand side of the cable car. Go straight on staying on the main road until you get to Campiano pass at 37m.a.s.l. on the Panoramica Road. Here you can choose to go back to Malcesine by going either right or left: the left hand descent is slightly shorter. Along the Panoramica Road there are several short cuts which will get you to Malcesine more quickly.
When you get to San Michele, you can return to Malcesine by Cable Car.
You can walk this route uphill if you have knee problems with walking downhill, and if you have the energy. In this case, we would suggest that you start from San Michele from where there are 1200m of uphill to do instead of 1700m from Malcesine.
Do you want to walk only the Ventrar Path?
- To avoid the cable car queue during the high season you can go by car to the half-way cable car station in San Michele
- Don't do it by bike, you will have to carry your bike on your back over various sections and this can be dangerous
The Ventrar path during the winter
The Ventrar path is closed as it is not passable in the snow.
Shelters, huts or bivouacs along the trail
- Ristorante Bar Cime del Baldo:
At the start of this route in the cable car station
Tel. +39 045 6584283
- Rifugio Bocca di Navene:
10 minutes walks from the end of the Ventrar path, (walking north downhill to Monte Altissimo).
Tel. +39 045 7401794
- Bar Ristorante La Capannina:
At the end of this walk, at "Colma di Malcesine"
Tel. +39 045 657 00 81 - Cel. +39 333 371 03 58
- Ristorante Bar Baita dei Forti:
10 metres from the cable car Station Tel. +39 045 7400319
How to reach the starting point of the trail
The path starts at the top station of the cable car.
Click here to see rates, timetables and opening times.
Tel. +39 045 7400206
- In Malcesine
- In Malcesine, at the cable car station
- In San Michele, at the cable car middle station
- Don’t undervalue this path just because it is downhill. There are 1700m of descent and most of it is on cement and asphalt.
- Along sections of the walk there are steel wires to hold on to which aren’t always necessary: be careful and always check the hand holds before using them.
- Take care when on the exposed parts of the path.
- Take extra care if walking when the path is wet.
- It is recommended not to choose this excursion in winter time, even in absence of snow during colder months: the path is north-facing and sunbeams never reach this area in winter.