You leave from Castelletto and run north along the beaches beside Lake Garda. You stay away from the traffic of the Gardesana road and can decide how far to run depending on your level of fitness.
|Route||Castelletto di Brenzone - Magugnano - Porto - Assenza - Cassone - Sommavilla - Borago - Castello - Magugnano - Castelletto|
|Start||Castelletto di Brenzone|
|Destination||Castelletto di Brenzone|
|Altitude - ascent/descent||451m/453m|
|Technical difficulty (1 to 5)||3|
|Physical training (1 to 5)||3|
|Scenic appeal (1 to 5)|
- Round tour
- Panoramic route
Best time of year
All year over.
Points of interest along this running trail
There is nothing boring about running through the old towns of Brenzone sul Garda and Cassone. There are many small ports and winding roads through the towns and then parts on the beach, metres from the water's edge.
Leave from Castelletto di Brenzone and run north on the cycle path which follows the beach. When you get to Magugnano, immediately after its small centre keep left and stay on the beach.
Once past the port of Porto and the two small bridges, ascend keeping the beach volley courts on your left and then back down to the beach again straight after the sailing club of Acquafresca.
In Assenza, you pass in front of the Trimelone Island and carry on until you reach the small harbour of Cassone. Here you will find a small path that goes up hill on your right which will bring you to the Via Gardesana. Cross the road and take the road uphill that will bring you to the church, this road is short but steep! At the top turn right towards south and go past the sports fields of Cassone. At the fork in the road for Sommavilla, keep left and keep on this road going through Venzo, Borago and Castello. From Cassone to Castello you will be running up and down hills.
From Castello you start going dowhill all the way to the beach at Magugnano. Cross the via Gardesana onto the beach, turn south and run back to Castelletto.
Those wishing to stay on the flat and lengthen or shorten the route can carry on along the cycle path which goes all the
way to the tunnels at Navene 6km to the north of Malcesine. Here are some distances so that you can plan your training.
- Castelletto - Magugnano Return trip: 6 km
- Castelletto - Porto Return trip: 10 km
- Castelletto - Assenza Return trip: 12 km
- Castelletto - Cassone Return trip: 16 km
- Castelletto - Val di Sogno Return trip: 18 km
- Castelletto - Malcesine Return trip: 21 km
- Castelletto - Campagnola Return trip: 26 km
- Castelletto - Navene Return trip: 32 km
- Avoid running in the hottest parts of summer days. Remember that on the lake and in the hills there isn't much shade.
- The Hilly part of this itinerary between Cassone and Castello is fairly hard work - it isn't obligatory!
The tour during the winter
This route can be run all year round.
How to reach the starting point of the trail
Castelletto di Brenzone is the southernmost hamlet of Brenzone sul Garda.
You can park behind the bus stop situated on the main street.
- From Torbole or Riva del Garda take a bus travelling south in the direction of Peschiera/Verona.
- From Peschiera or Verona take a bus travelling north in the direction of Riva del Garda.