Easy route there and back up ladder-steps with panoramic views over Lake Garda
Nordic walking, trekking and via ferrata
Creator, photographer and content manager
❌ This route is closed for maintenance work from February 27, 2023 for about a month. ❌
The Busatte Tempesta path at Lake Garda is one of the most famous paths in Alto Garda. Five Kilometers (each way) of easy walking above the Lake where you can spend a few hours surrounded by Nature with panoramic views over the lake and mountains of Alto Garda.
An easy and panoramic route, walking above the lake, partly using iron stairs of 400 steps in total which are used to cross the Val Calcarole, Corno di Bò and Salt della Cavra.
Map and GPS Track
Tempesta – Busatte Tempesta Path – Busatte Park
Altitude – ascent/descent
5,2 km (each way)
1,5 hrs (each way)
- Starting point
Technical difficulty (1 to 5)
Physical training (1 to 5)
CAI (Italian Alpine Club) difficulty scale
*Mountain signs and Italian Alpine Club difficulty scale
Experience (1 to 5)
Landscape (1 to 5)
- Experience (1 to 5)
Type of route
- One way tour
- Suitable for families and children
- Insider tip
- Panoramic route
Best time of year
- All year over
Points of interest along this hiking trail
This path is reserved for walkers and is one of the most frequented routes because of its beauty and its steep panoramic views over the Lake. You will discover the local Mediterranean flora and rocks shaped by ice.
Along the route there are information signs about the flora, fauna and geology of this area.
From Tempesta you start with an easy uphill climb of about 15 minutes which brings you to a fork in the road at Varno where you turn left along the path which brings you to the first of three stair-ladders.
The first ladder has 33 steps and after these you follow the path up to “Salto del Corno di Bò” where you start the second, longer, set of steps (238 in all). From the top of the ladder you have a wonderful view over the whole lake.
The path then leads you on to the next creek, the “Salt della Cavra”, via a third ladder of 123 steps. Walking on down for another 20 minutes, you reach the Busatte Park, first using a path which crosses the landslide area and then using the firebreak path.
- This itinerary can also be done the other way round starting from the Busatte Park. At Tempesta there is a bus stop to take you back to Torbole and the bus stop in Torbole is about 1.5 km from the Busatte Park.
- Here you will find the description of the ring route of the stair-ladders Busatte-Tempesta starting in Torbole.
- Here, instead, you will find another route, always a ring route, of medium difficulty that starts from Torbole, goes down the stair-ladders from Busatte to Tempesta and comes back to Torbole along the Sentiero dei Paloni (Paloni path).
- If you don’t have much walking experience, it’s best to start from the Busatte Park in Torbole and do the stair-ladders in descent.
- This path is very popular and busy even on holidays and in low season. Start early in the morning or come during the week if possible.
- The Tempesta car park is very small and sometimes it’s difficult to find a space. It’s best to leave your car in Torbole and get to Tempesta by bus.
- In the short months of the winter, the stairs are in the shade until late morning.
- Instead, in the summer longer months, the stairs are in full sun all day long and get very hot: start early in the morning and bring something to drink.
The tour during the winter
Thanks to the walk being at low level, it can be enjoyed all year round
Places to eat and refreshment points
At the start of the route (Busatte Park) and at Torbole.
How to reach the starting point of the trail
Tempesta is situated 7 km to the north of Malcesine at the end of the first straight road after the first long tunnel.
There is a small car place close to the main street.
- From Torbole or Riva del Garda take a bus travelling south in the direction of Peschiera/Verona.
- From Peschiera or Verona take a bus travelling north in the direction of Riva del Garda.